Friday, October 1, 2010

A Dad's Love

When you think of a dad and the love he has for his little girls...
you think about the first time he holds her...
or her dancing with him while standing on his feet...
or him carrying her to bed when she fell fast asleep before they made it home...
or walking his little girl down the isle...

A lot of times it includes sweet images of softness, tenderness,
endearing moments of a little girl and her dad.

What I am quick to forget about is that the love he had for me way back then,
in all those moments, is still there...but it's so much more now.

I try not to have a honey-do (or daddy-do) list of things for my dad when he comes. He does SO much for everyone that I feel bad about asking him to help out. But this time he never stopped.

It was very difficult to be on the receiving end of so much help and love. His love language is acts of service...hands down...no question. But so is mine...so I think it means SO much to me because we speak the same language.

Pictures don't show the blood, sweat, and swearing :O) that went with some of these pictures, but it's the best I can do to show what he did in 2 short weeks.

It started out like this...hosting us at his new house...yes...it's where they live and they love it!

Then it quickly went to this...

...and this...

Which turned into 2 of these....

And in the meantime there was the camper that collapsed...
thankfully in our driveway AFTER our camping trip
...and so there was this...
(this is was the hardest thing to watch because it wasn't easy and things kept breaking and he kept fighting and kept fixing)
...and I felt like I did A LOT of this...

And all he wanted to do was to teach the grandkids how to fish (I'm sure my mom has more pictures of the actual fishing, but I only got the practice session)

So - my view of a daddy's love for his little girl has matured past the picture perfect sweetness. It continues and grows and hurts and sweats and swears and gets up the next day to do it all again...without expecting anything in return. To say "I'm so glad this all happened (re: the camper) while I was here so I could help you".

I love you dad. Thanks for EVERYTHING.

1 comment:

Style Attic said...

The best part is you'll have his hands and heart forever in your life with the beautiful pieces he's put together for you and yours :)