Monday, April 5, 2010

Scariest 30 seconds as a parent

Ok...who knew that 30 seconds could seem like forever?

Before we crossed the busy Wash.ington DC street she was holding a hand. Once we got to the other side...she was nowhere to be seen! NOWHERE!

Camryn was gone.

Busy intersection. Impatient cars. Impatient people.

The busiest day in DC that my parents have ever seen...packs of people, shoulder-to-shoulder, crazy busy.

I turned around to quickly scan the streets, my heart was already in my throat.

I wanted to run and scream.

I wanted to stand still in fear of running the wrong direction. Even now, my eyes are teary thinking of that moment.

Eric darted back to where we had come from. No one was yelling.

Stacy...yell!! But I was frozen. Stacy...call her name...scream her name...but I couldn't. I was in disbelief and terrified that I wasn't going to be able to find her in all those people.

What if someone grabbed her? What if she was in the street?

"THERE SHE IS!" My dad had spotted her. I tried to follow where he was pointing with my eyes, but I didn't see her. What if it wasn't her? Did he really see her? I don't see her! I CAN'T see her!!

I finally start running. Screaming, yelling her name...running towards where my dad pointed. Eric is catching up from behind. But he's just running too. We couldn't see her. She was in the middle of a group of pedestrians...no one realizing there was a little girl by herself.

Finally Eric reaches into a crowd of people and scoops her up.

I couldn't even hold her. I wasn't crying. I was terrified and relieved. Adrenaline still rushing. She was crying. My mom picked her up and hugged her as Camryn started sobbing.

I couldn't breathe. I was numb. She had someone's hand right before we crossed....I CHECKED! Then she told me she wanted to walk in the grass and she thought we were going straight. The person whose hand she was holding thought she went to someone else...which the kids had been doing all day...switching whose hand they were holding. No biggie.

The fact was it happened so fast...and she was gone.

I've cried (writing this), she's cried again. We've relived it.

I have thanked God repeatedly for His protective hand.

3 comments:

Derek and Betsy said...

WOW! Thank God you found her safe. It reminds me of the story in "The Shack" which I am just now reading. I can't even imagine...DW

The AB club said...

Can you breathe yet? How scary.

Holly said...

um. wow.
my worst fear when I'm out with the girls is this!
worst!