Friday, June 6, 2008

moving furniture

At what point will I learn? At what point do I realize that I SHOULD NOT let my kids eat spaghettios at a table that is sitting on white carpet? seriously...I thought I was smarter than this...but here is what went through my head....

"Well, I really shouldn't let them eat in there. I really don't want to drag the coffee table into the kitchen again for them to eat on. They've been really good lately, and at a normal table with normal chairs I'm sure they'll be fine."

See...our table is in our formal dining room which is around the corner, completely separate from the kitchen. We don't have a table in our kitchen, so many times I drag our coffee table into the kitchen (because it has linoleum!!) and they pull up their little lawn chairs and eat.

So - again, I say...when will I learn. Amber wasn't paying attention and knocked Camryn's bowl onto the floor. I stood there hiding my face trying to calm down before reacting....I did better than I've done in the past but basically told everyone to leave and go to their room, in a semi-loud voice. I kept standing there wanting to cry, but really I kept thinking, "If you don't start cleaning it RIGHT NOW it will never come up!!!"

Thankfully a couple of weeks ago I read "Never under estimate the power of club soda"...so I raided Eric's liquor cupboard and it worked brilliantly!! Straight club soda and a couple of white tea towels...and it all came out. I couldn't believe it.

Then I spent the rest of the afternoon rearranging furniture so that our table and chairs are now in our kitchen, cramped as it may be. And the dining room will become their library/toy room. But what I want now is the cute little elevated table from Crate & Barrel that I saw the other day. Oh well...this will due.

Seriously. When will I learn?

1 comment:

JLF said...

Hilarious ... I can just see this happening in slow motion.