Friday, May 23, 2008

Tornadoes

Can I say that yesterday is the first day that I thought, "Wow, I am really glad I don't live in Johnstown right now."

Watching those images from here was scary enough. I had a friend who called me saying it hit Windsor and I might want to call my good friend who lives in Windsor. I did and she was without power, but other than that they were fine. They were on the west side, so the twister missed them.

I have a friend who lives in Gilcrest that I called (only 15 minutes from my old house if you go east). She said she was in the car talking with her husband on the phone. He was at home and was talking about the heavy hail. She said that he then started yelling at her to get home NOW. Luckily she was right there. She said they watched the monster tornado pass by as it was only 1/2 mile from her house. She said the house on the other side of the highway from them got hit. (As I was talking to her on the phone, she was pulling up to the hospital..she'd driven herself because she had appendicitis!) It also touched down only a mile from the girls' old school.

A part of me is sick because I wish I could go help out the communities who got hit but I can't. The other part of me...the bigger chicken part of me...is grateful we weren't there. Knowing myself, I would have been massively freaked out.

We've had our fair share of warnings here already (I didn't know I was moving to a tornado area). Everytime we are in a warning, I wander around the house picking up and putting things away...creating one more barrier something might have to go through before it flies across the room. It always makes me feel like I'm doing something and helps calm the nerves a bit.

I'm the first to admit that I'm a bit of a chicken. I like a good rain/thunderstorm...but only if that's all it is. Once the "T" word start my heart starts racing. Even in the really nasty thunderstorms sometimes. I remember being terrified as a kid. I handle my emotions better now...but they still freak me out!

1 comment:

Holly said...

I remember living in Alabama and every spring we spent most nights in the bathtub with a matress near by that we could pull over us at any moment.
by 'we' I mean my mom, my brother and myself.
my dad would stand on the FRONT PORCH and just watch it all!!!!
my brother and I always wanted to be out there with him, instead we were crammed in a military base house bathtub (size xs) with three people!!!

so funny.