Monday, May 26, 2008

Memorial Day

I am saddened that this holiday has become a 3-day weekend. I know a lot of people remember those who died and fought for our country...but for whatever reason, this year the emphasis doesn't seem to be on that.

This year, the emphasis seems to be on the gas prices and how far you will drive for your weekend vacation. This year the emphasis seems to be on the food prices and what you'll sacrifice at your BBQ. This year the emphasis is not on those still fighting and those who have died and those who fought years ago.

I'm trying really hard not to get caught in "this years emphasis"...although it's easy. Today we will be making popsicle stick flags and sending them to our family who have fought and who are fighting to say thank you.

My kids may not understand it all yet, but I want to start now. I know that today, Reese (my brother-in-law who is in special ops and who is somewhere over there) is not wondering how much gas is or what they will eat for their BBQ today. They are wondering if another team-member will be killed or if another injury will happen, or if they will succeed in their mission.

Thank you to my friends and loved-ones who are fighting and who have fought to keep us free.

2 comments:

Mom :o) said...

I love you Stacy!!!

Mom :o)

Heather said...

I love you too thank you for saying what i can not.

heather aka reese's wife